2 cups flour
120g butter, cut into cubes
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
Grated zest (1 tablespoon) and juice of 1 orange (1/3 cup)
1 tub Safari fruit mincemeat (500g) (Yes, Bake a Ton stocks this!!)
Icing sugar for dusting.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, grated zest and orange juice and mix together until the dough comes together. Knead the dough into a ball and cover with cling wrap.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to roll the dough, set the oven to 180°C and spray a muffin tin with Spray and Cook. The muffin/cupcake tin should be a shallow tin. The deep ones will work but probably not as well.
- Roll out the dough to about 2mm in thickness and with a round cookie cutter, cut the bases out of the dough and place them in the tin, gently pressing the bases down.
- Place a tablespoon of fruit mince in each casing.
- Now cut out the tops of the mince pies, the dough can be a little thinner for this. I used a star shape but you can use a round shape as well. Place on top of the fillings.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry has browned nicely.
- Cool in the muffin pan before removing.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve!
Recipe source: https://justeasyrecipes.co.za/2011/12/14/christmas-mince-pies/